Orthodox Lay Contemplative

Sunday, April 17, 2005

The purpose of Contemplation

Thinking about how each of us has a purpose to life, I've been reflecting again on contemplation and action. The last few years, I have begun to withdraw more and more to my interior self. I've been pretty good at saying no, something I struggled with in times past. That's probably how I ended up with 5 children, 3 of them adopted foster kids. One of those is bipolar and had his first near violent outburst tonight in a while. Another is in jail facing sentencing this week for a felony. As pitiful as my life has been lately, I wonder if I shouldn't have focused on centering prayer and contemplation earlier in life.

But I've always been drawn to action also. It led me to minister to the homeless early on. Then to live for 7 years in a ghetto ministering to the urban poor. To teach Sunday school, serve in the altar, support missionaries or fight world hunger by supporting a third world child. I've always thought that is what Christianity is about: giving and doing.

Back to the last 3 years. I'm taking the time to practice centering prayer. I spend much time in the book of Psalms. I "waste" time in my woods, praying and thinking. I run for hours at a time on Saturday mornings. I attempt to pray the Jesus prayer as consistently as possible during the day. In all these things, I am not worried about giving or doing. Instead, I'm focused on "being." The contemplative life is one of being with God. Simply abiding in Him, not trying to "do" anything. And that's okay. While this may seem selfish or spiritually self-centered, it is not.

Contemplation is action. They are not two polar opposites. If one is truly in the presence of God, they will bring that presence to others, somehow, someway. For one to truly "do" anything in the name of Christ, they must first know him. I may have posted this quote from a book titled "Contemplation". It's worth repeating though. "Contemplation is God's supreme gift (charisma) which enables the soul to love him beyond all words and thoughts, beyond all specific acts, interior or exterior. It is remaining loving God, and all creation with him, with the love of God himself." "This simple act of love which so characterizes contemplation is not a private gift. The love of God in its contemplative expression not only transforms the individual soul, in a mysterious way, it also transforms the Church, the world....Contemplation is in itself authentic ministry."

So I seek my purpose in God alone. Not based on what value I add by my actions, but what value I add to this planet as a human being: fully human, and fully myself. By reaching the full stature of who Christ beckons me to become, I find meaning and purpose.