Orthodox Lay Contemplative

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Running for peace

From the sayings of the Desert Fathers, we read the rule of life for Abba Arsenius: "Be solitary, be silent, be at peace." Pretty simple words, but how powerful they are! Throughout the pages of these sayings, we often find pilgrims traveling to "hear a word" (a pointed individual exhortation) from a well respected Father. The goal is to find a personal spiritual rule for leading one's life.

How easy it would be if there were such a source today. We do have the church to guide us, our spiritual fathers and guides, and Holy Scripture. But it would so easy if I could hear one simple saying, such as Abba Arsenius had, and apply it for myself. But alas, our pilgrimage can not be so easy. Or can it?

The same themes appear in these words from the Fathers: silence, solitude, simplicity, peace, humility. But we as laypeople in the busy, modern 21st century, who is here to tell us how we live these out today? That, is the challenge for each of us today. To assimilate the truth of our faith, make it personal, and set our lives to living it out in our own personal way. Yet it must be in accordance with the tradition and history of our spiritual ancestors.

Abba Bessarion was a spiritual nomad, traveling from place to place. His saying was "for always I must wander, in order to finish my course." These words resonate with me as I run for over 2 hours on a Saturday morning, training for another marathon. A gentle, misty rain grows harder, then back to a slight mist. The roads in and around Ft. Ben are virtually empty, save a few other hearty souls seeking health and peace. The solitude is welcome, a respite from marathons of thousands of runners, bands, spectators and cheers. My partners this morning are a few geese announcing their arrival; clouds bantering about for space in a gray sky; a mallard braving the rain on the lake shore; and the rhythmic beat of wet shoes meeting pavement.

There is something contemplative about long distance running. The time spent alone challenging my body to exceed it's limits, challenges my soul to pursue peace to the same degree. If Bessarion had to "always wander, in order to finish his course", I wonder if always I must run, in order to find peace. The rain ceases, the clouds struggle to hold back an emerging attempt at sunlight. And all the while my footprints and heartbeat seek to hold a word, to live out my course, the pursuit of inner peace.