Orthodox Lay Contemplative

Saturday, November 06, 2004

Reality

"Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace." Romans 8:5,6
"The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap dstruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life." Galatians 6:8
"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." II Corinthians 4:18

Kerry Livgren and the rock group Kansas had a hit song titled "Dust in the Wind." One of the lines I always remember from that is "nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky." Kerry became a Chrisitian later in life, I wonder if he still believed that. I wonder if not the opposite is true. According to these scriptures, the only thing that will be eternal is the unseen, or the Spirit.

It seems to me there are two realities; one is the temporary, the seen, the senses, the flesh. The other is what is unseen, what is eternal, the Spirit. For most of the world today, only one reality exists, they live a sensual life according to what is felt, seen or heard. If I'm honest, I must admit how much of my life is lived according to the flesh. How much do time, energy and effort do I spend toward the spiritual? And just how does one live a "spiritual" life if it's impossible to see, feel or hear?

Two portals into the spiritual life come to mind. One is the sacraments. I believe the definition of a sacrament is "the visible means of God's invisible grace." When I was baptized, when I was chrismated, when I partake of the Eucharist, Christ is coming to me invisibly. He is present in each of those, not to the naked eye, but to the Spirit. Sacraments aren't magic, but they are mystical. For those who approach them in faith, the reality of the Spirit is present.

The other portal is direct union with God's Spirit. This one is surely way over my head and thinking. But I'm learning if we seek silence, solitude and stillness of mind and heart, along with silent contemplative prayer, God will make himself real to us. As with a sacrament, not in a visible or emotional feeling, but through the quiet work of His Spirit. I'm thankful for the Orthodox (and Catholic) monks and mystics who have shown us this path to contemplation. And I'm eternally grateful to God for His Spirit, His word, and His church. "Oh the depths of the riches of the widsom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgements and his paths beyond tracing out! Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor? Who has ever given to God that God should repay him? For from Him, and through Him, and to Him are all things. To him be the glory forever!" Romans 11:33-36