Orthodox Lay Contemplative

Friday, September 10, 2004

Salvation History Milestones

Wednesday, September 8th, was the first major feast of the liturgical year: the Nativity of the Theotokos. As a former evangelical for most of my life, this is one of those feasts that seemed to have a little less significance to me than the biblical ones such as Theophany, Transfiguration, Pentecost and such. I spent some time this week thinking about this feast, not only it's historical importance, but how it applies to me here in the 21st century.

The celebratory feasts of the church are not just memorials or re-telling of historical events. Just as the Eucharist is not simply a remberence, but an active, present participation in our life in Christ, so also the feasts have application and bring life to us today. But what specifically is special about the birth of the Theotokos? Yes, she is the Mother of God and her place in salvation history is absolutley immeasurable. But what is it about this point in time that has meaning to me?

As I meditated on these thoughts, I harkened back to one of the doctrines of Evangelicalism that I always seemed to struggle with, that is "when" was I saved? I remember at 10 years old after hearing John chapter 3 for the first time, and a Sunday school teacher sharing with me about me being born again, praying to accept Christ into my life. That was when I was saved. Until September 10, 1981, and going forward at a Resurrection Band concert to commit my life to Christ after getting some distance away from Him as a young adult. Which of those prayers actually "saved" me? Or was it Pentecost 1995 when I was chrismated into the Holy Orthodox church, and "found the true faith". Of course, maybe being born again was my infant baptism into the Presbyterian faith.

Throughout our corporate church history, there have been monumental points where God intervened and worked salvation. These are the milestones of our salvation history, when God worked to save the world. And so in each of our own personal lives, there are milestones when God breaks into the monotony of our lives, shattering both our sin and our understading of what He can work in us. Just when I think I'm "saved", or have arrived, at a new moment a glimpse of God's glory arises to make me realize how far away I still may be. But the peace that knowing God continues to save me is more reassuring than the doubt of "if" or "when" I am saved.

For Orthodox Christians, salvation is viewed as a process, not a one time prayer, like buying a car or signing a contact. Theosis, or becoming like God as we seek lives of personal piety and purity, is a constant struggle. Too often the evangelical in me still confuses this with works or earning salvation. Nothing could be farther than the truth. The deeper I get into this struggle over the passions, over sin, over pride, I realize all the more nothing can save me but the grace of God.

But I realize this "outrageous" love of God (to paraphrase Father Joseph Gibson), can not be limited to a one time prayer. Yet one prayer, one moment in time, can have amazing power, to set course to a chain of events that can literally change the world.

A baby girl is born to elderly parents 2000 years ago, in a desolate, oppressed land. To the world, an insignificant event; to those who are being saved, it is the beginning of the true life of the world.