Orthodox Lay Contemplative

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Prayer and the morning paper

Two suicide bombings in Isreal, 16 killed and dozens injured. A suicide bombing in Moscow, 10 killed and dozens injured. "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy." Groups clamor to claim credit for their hate and killing innocent people, all in the name of God. "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy."

A new internet video claims to show the gruesome deaths of 12 hostages by Iraqi militants. In Nepal a father of one of the victims cries out "What sins have I committed to deserve this?".

"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy."

I wish I could somehow comfort that father. I have no words to say, but in some way I'd like to convey my sorrow and compassion. I wish I could comfort all the victims familes of these absurdities, and share whatever I have to offer to help. I wish I could tell religious fanatics to stop killing people in the name of God. I wish the violence would just end. I wish there were something I could do.

"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy."

Maybe these Carmelite nuns have an answer: www.praythenews.com Rather than just curse the darkness, I can light a candle by praying as I read. I can't do all the other things I wish I can. But I can pray, seek a life of peace, and beg Christ our God to bring His kingdom, even in the midst of the suffering world.

"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy."