Orthodox Lay Contemplative

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Types of prayer--and Six short prayers

How does one describe prayer? How do you pray? Answering those questions could take volumes as great as the sand on the seashore. Over the last few days, I've been able to experience prayer in several different meaningful ways. Meaningful, at least for me. For others, these methods may be dreary and boring. But that's the great thing about our relationship with God. Our ways to communicate, to love, to praise Him, may be completely varied, yet in the end they serve one purpose: to draw us closer to the One we love.

Sunday I went to a workshop at Fatima Retreat center on "Praying a labyrinth". I've been to a couple different labyrinths, and read a little about them. From this workshop, I heard some of the same thoughts, mainly that there is no right or wrong way to pray. Simply walk silently and paryerfully following the labyrinth, and see where the journey takes you in your spirit. Don't expect God to speak in a loud voice, or powerfully from a burning bush; it's a labyrinth, not Mount Tabor.

Last night I went to Cordiafonte House of Prayer for a silent prayer time. Four people attended, including myself and the two monastic residents. We had two 25 minute silent prayer times with about a 2 minute silent walk around the chapel in between.

Praying in silence, without words or with few words, has become an important part of my devotion. There is something about simply abiding in the presence of God that speaks great mercy and peace to my interior life. The deeper I seem to grow in prayer, the less words appear. The most powerful prayer that many Orthodox Christians experience is simply 12 words: "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner."

Over the last few years, I've come to pray 6 short prayers daily. "Lord give me a heart for You, my family, and the suffering in the world." "Lord protect me from pride, greed, lust and sin." "Lord, thank you for everything you've given, done and are." "Reveal to us O Lord, the beauty of Your Kingdom, and the knowledge of your unapproachable glory." "Grant peace to Your world O Lord. Grant peace to Your church O Lord. Grant peace to my family O Lord. Grant peace to my soul O Lord." "Thy Kingdom come."

Those last 2 I try and pray as often as I can along with the Jesus prayer. All of these have a lot of meaning for me, especially the last 2. For others, they are probably simply words. But that is another great aspect of prayer, how personal it can be. I think each of us has our own prayer of our heart, if we take the time to find the words that resonate within us.