Orthodox Lay Contemplative

Saturday, March 26, 2005

The Privilege of Prayer

Someone asked me to pray for them this week. This isn't the first time that has happened, but it's the first time I actually thought for a while what that means. For some reason, they think my prayers will help the situation they are asking about. Okay, I surely can't let this go to my head. They may be asking every living, breathing human they know to pray. It certainly isn't like I some effacy greater than anyone else. There are plenty of people more righteous, more devout, and more dedicated to prayer than myself.

Yet nonetheless, it is a great honor, a great privilege to pray. It is something I, maybe we, all too often take for granted. God is always there waiting for us. He is never too busy, never distracted, never tired of us wanting company with him. In fact, he loves it. The Psalmist repeats how "the Lord takes pleasure in his people" and "the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear him" (Ps147:11, 149:4). Yes, God desires our companionship more than anything else. It's why we remember and celebrate every Easter season the price God paid to restore our relationship.

Yet do we requite his love in the same manner? Do we seek communion with him with all our heart and soul? Or do I assume since I can pray anytime, why pray now? The love of God should not become so familiar to my being that I lose sight of how precious it is. That doesn't mean I limit time spent with God, but rather I value it more than anything in my life.

When someone in sincerity asks me to remember them in prayer, I need to be careful not to respond tritely. "My prayers are with you" and then I go about my business as before. God doesn't need me to pray. But he has granted me the privilge to do so. He has allowed me, in fact it's his will, that I come to him with requests he already is wanting to grant out of his love. All the more reason that "in the fear of God with faith and in love" we should boldly draw near to his presence. Thanks be to God for his mercy and grace in sharing himself.