Orthodox Lay Contemplative

Saturday, April 09, 2005

Pathway to Purpose: The Holy Spirit

St. Seraphim of Sarov said, "The goal of the Christian life is the acquisition of the Holy Spirit." We have little record of sayings of St. Seraphim, but the ones we do are powerful. How profound to think our purpose in life is to acquire the Holy Spirit, or rather, to allow the Holy Spirit to acquire all of me. But just how do we go about acquiring the Spirit of God?

The tradition of contemplatives throughout church history point to various methods, disciplines, and avenues to attempt to grow closer to God. Yet they all acknowledge one important point: God alone is the impetus for revealing himself, and His Spirit, to us. Whatever contemplative practice we take up, it will be for naught less God chooses to grant us his presence. Likewise, we may not even be seeking God when all of a sudden he breaks into our being and commands our attention.

Fortunately, there are methods or practices to help us be more open to the contemplative moment when God's presence is made aware to our hearts. Centering prayer is a common practice of our day. Reading God's word, especially lectio divina, is vital. Asceticism and denying our passions opens our bodies and minds to a greater reality than what we see and feel. Without humility, it will be virtually impossible to recognize the Holy God, Holy Mighty, and Holy Immortal one. And finally the sacraments, especially the body and blood of our Lord and Saviour, are the definitive visible means of acquiring our invisible, ineffable God.

Probably the most obvious and valuable lesson of life learned in running a marathon is that good things (the finish line!) come to those who endure. I cannot make that 26 miles pass and end without a certain degree of simply persevering. It takes seeking, waiting, and not giving up. And so it is with acquiring the Holy Spirit. While I must admit it is entirely up to God's grace to reveal himself to me, nonetheless I can pursue him with the gifts he has given to me to avail myself of his Spirit.

I prayed at a labyrinth today. The labyrinth is another great reminder of journey, purpose and perseverance. Repeatedly, the destination comes into view, and just when you think you are there, you make a sudden change in a different direction. Finally when it seems you are the farthest away, a simple turn leads you to your center.

So I continue to practice the disciplines of the saints who demonstrated best how to acquire the Holy Spirit. Daily I seek to humble myself before his throne. And through all of this, the hope is God will show his mercy toward me and grant me his Holy Spirit. This is all part of his purpose for myself, and for all.

Abba Lot went to see Abba Joseph and said to him, "Abba, as far as I can I say my little office, I fast a little, I pray and meditate, I live in peace and as far as I can, I purify my thoughts. What else can I do?" Then the old man stood up and stretched his hands toward heaven. His fingers became like 10 lamps of fire and he said to him, "If you will, you can become all flame."