Orthodox Lay Contemplative

Friday, June 24, 2005

The Politics of Prayer

The very title of this post is sad. I would say there is no place for politics in prayer, but apparently that may not be true for all. With our bi-polar political climate today, unfortunately even prayer, or alleged prayer, can become a battleground.

Recent case in point. A raging debate is taking place here in Indiana after the ICLU sued the state to stop sectarian prayers to open the Indiana House. Evangelical ministers have not only been praying in the name of Jesus, they have gone so far as to lead gospel songs while doing so. This has led to members of the congress leaving the chambers until the opening prayer is finished. Conservatives point out that rabbi's and Muslim clerics have also led the prayer (on 2 or 3 occasions.)

One side says the prayer should be inclusive and acceptable to all present. The other decries this as censorship and imposing on freedom of religion. I think we need to step back and understand what prayer fundamentally is. In my understanding, it is my personal relationship and communication with God. Or in a group setting, the groups common, united petition addressing God.

I don't think there is any danger of this happening, but if ever I was called to lead the opening prayer of the Indiana House I would have to decline. For one, I could not water down my faith in the name of inclusiveness. I think inclusion and diversity are vital to our society, but that doesn't mean we all meet at the lowest common denominator. It means I am who I am, and you are who you are. I respect your faith and don't attempt to change you, as I hope you offer me the same courtesy. Secondly, I would not pretend to pray when what I actually am being asked to do is make a speech. Is the opening prayer really addressed to God? Then let everyone who feels so inclined to pray in their heart, in their words, to the deity of their choice.

Alas, this isn't the first, nor will it probably be the last of this battlefield. We continue to debate prayer in schools, prayers at football games and graduations, prayers at the flagpole, and everywhere else we can fight for our prayers. What happened to giving Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and to God what belongs to God? What happened to "when you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret will reward you."

If you are easily offended by names of specific references to God, please stop reading. "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on us all."

There. This is my blog; I'll pray as I see fit. And I promise not to pray at your blog.