Orthodox Lay Contemplative

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Getting into position

Last night I couldn't sleep, so Lady Gator and I went outside for a little bit around 2:oo A.M. Looks like there was a full moon. One of the downsides of living in woods is, you can't really see the sky 6 months of the year. So I kept walking around, the back, the sides, the front, trying to get a clear shot of the moon. It was pretty much in vain. Until I turned around to go back in. Then I noticed a few parts of the front yard where there was light streaming through.

Not being a rocket scientist but having some intelligence, I walked over to where the moonlight was, lined up my shadow in it, and turned back toward the sky. Voila! There's the moon, brightly piercing through branches and shining all over me.

That is what contemplative practice is all about. I can't create the presence of God in my life. I can't manufacture a contemplative moment. I can't force the Holy Spirit to show up at will. But I can get myself into position where the likelihood of those things happening is greater. I can increase my availabilty, my vulnerability, my receptivity to God if I'm in a right position spiritually when I:

  • am present at Divine Liturgy, especially mindful during the anaphora and epiklesis.
  • arise early to give 20 or 30 minutes to God in silent prayer.
  • make full use of my prayer rope and the Jesus prayer often.
  • be mindful to the present moment throughout the day.
  • take time for spiritual disciplines: walking meditation, centering prayer, Psalms, liturgy.

Siesta Key is one of my favorite places on the planet. Nothing is like a beautiful sunset out on the white sandy beaches, with a bright orange sun setting into the green/blue water. When in Sarasota, if I'm watching tv, or reading a book, or sitting in the house, I'll miss it. Being at Point of Rocks at the right time doesn't guarantee a wonderful sunset, but does highly increase my chances of catching it if there is one. Like the title of a good little book I'm reading, "Wherever you go, there you are." It's up to me to make sure that I am in the present moment when the sun sets, when the full moon shines, and when God awakens me to His presence.