Orthodox Lay Contemplative

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Three choices

Seems to me that there are basically three choices in life. One, is to choose our own way and follow our own will. Two would be to accept God's will for our life, but do so grudgingly. And three, would be to accept God's will for our life, and do it with gratitude.

Every moment gives us the opportunity to make our choice. Life is made up of countless Monty Hall "Let's make a deal!' choices. Door A, Door B, or Door C. Like the old game show, we sometimes choose the door with the car, but it turns out to be a broken down Ford Pinto. And we passed on the door with the horse and buggy, only to find the buggy included a $10,000 check.

I heard a presentation yesterday by a monk from New Mellerey Abbey in Iowa. He was talking about obedience in the Benedictine tradition. Since he was speaking to laypeople, rather than focus on obedience to an Abbot, he talked about how we face choosing God's will in every moment of our lives. And in that present moment, we have the choice of obeying and choosing God's will or not.

For me, I think there are the three choices I mentioned. I say that because for 45 years I've become an expert in hedging my bet and choosing choice two. When it comes right down to it, I'll do what God says, but I don't always do it with a smile. I hold onto my receipt so that when things don't work out (just like I knew all along) I can go back to God for a refund. And maybe remind him I told him if I take that cross they are going to nail me to it. But then, that's the point. It's not about how I think things should turn out. It's about doing them, with gratitude, and embracing the cross I'm called to bear.

We are having a really hard time the last month with our 15 year old bipolar son. Summers are always a challenge. He has been very rebellious and rude, and has the household on eggshells wondering if or when we'll get the violent outburst and have to call the police. Another of our adopted children, now 18, has made the Marion County jail his home for the last 8 months and probably a few more.

What if I could have a conversation with God and make my choice again? What if he told me it's his will to open my home up to the fatherless and needy, but he would let me go back to 1989 and recant if I really wanted. What would I do? Door number 1, take the easy way and raise my two biological children and live how I want. Door number 2 (the one I've chosen), live in an inner city for several years, adopt 3 children in need of care, but complain bitterly to God about my lot every chance I get. Or door number 3, do what Christ did. Pick up my cross and obey, not with a stiff neck, but because I love God and trust Him. What a novel thought.

I think I'm going to see if I can change my choice. Because I'm learning choice number two really isn't an option. If it were, my life would be miserable and I'd be as annoying to God as fire ants at a summer picnic. And really, choice number three is where I will find peace. Unbelievable as it may seem to me at times, only when I learn obedience and gratitude will I be truly me, and truly happy.